Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A FEW THINGS I LEARNED IN 2011


THERE IS LIFE AFTER FACEBOOK.
So, nearly a year ago now, I decided to delete my personal account on Facebook. It wasn't an easy decision -- mainly because I'm a curious gal and really enjoy knowing what others are up to.

But. There were negative effects to all that knowledge. And I'm a private person by nature. So it just got to feeling B.A.D. For me. (I know it's something that is a huge source of enjoyment for a lot of folks... if it works for you, go for it!) After I deleted the account, I worried that I would miss it, especially when my birthday rolled around.

My son (who is very wise, and no, I don't know where he gets it) said, the people who really matter will still be in touch.

He was right.

Later on, I did start feeling like I was missing out -- friends were having weddings and babies and I wasn't in on the blow-by-blow... so I opened a new account and was careful just to friend my actual friends and family.

But you know what? After all that time away, I just couldn't get back into the habit of logging in. I didn't have enough time! And I felt like I had nothing at all to say.

So I deleted the account again.

Which means, I think, I really am over it. Facebook is not for me. (I do, however, continue to maintain a professional author page to make it easy for any Facebook-ers who might want to get in touch with me.)


TAKE THE TIME TO IRON.
Yes. I am of the time-challenged, get 'er done mindset, so taking the time to unfold the ironing board, plug up the iron, turn it on then actually USE IT, is not quite an attractive option. But. It really REALLY helps! Especially with quilt-making, when the pieces do line up much more easily when they are wrinkle-free and the seams are flat.

Here's my last quilt of the year, which completes my 2011 Quilt a Month Challenge. I made it for my sister. It includes pieces from her childhood sheet set (from way back when we shared a room).

NETFLIX IS AWESOME.
I am not much for TV. But I love me some movies! and Netflix has got all these documentaries and foreign films... all in the name of RESEARCH, mind you.

Reminds me: Seth Godin in his blog recently said something by way of instruction: "expose yourself to art you don't yet understand." I love that. And Netflix helps me do just that.

YOU KNOW YOU'VE TRANSITIONED TO A NEW AND WONDERFUL PHASE OF PARENTHOOD WHEN THE KIDS NO LONGER USE YOUR SHOWER.
That's right: youngest son finally abandoned the "big" shower for the privacy of the one upstairs. I swear the bathroom feels even bigger now. I love it!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo!!! Changing habits is one of the hardest things to do! I'm using you as inspiration to kick my sugar habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have zero bad habits... :) all my habits are good hahahahahasnort

    I have so few friends on FB it doesn't take me long to check it ... like once a day

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?