Friday, March 21, 2014

Adventures in Haiku, and HI, KOO! by Jon J Muth

Hello, and Happy Poetry Friday! Please visit Amazingly Talented Traveler-Poet Julie at The Drift Record for Roundup.

I have long been interested in haiku, and have long admired those of you who write it regularly (Robyn! Jone! Diane!), but have never written any myself. So when wonderful librarian Haruyo Miyagawa announced haiku events in conjunction with the Sakura (cherry blossom) Festival at Birmingham Botanical Gardens (tomorrow!), I decided to make attending those events a priority.

One of the things I did was attend a haiku workshop with Terri L. French. Here's some of the things I learned:

Haiku is more objective than the poetry I generally write -- no feelings or analogies allowed! No titles or end punctuation. It relies heavily on a juxtaposition. Uusally less than 17 syllables. Has a season word. A dash or ellipses act as the Kireji (cutting word). No personification.

Here's my very first effort at haiku:

Pine thicket laced
with dogwood blossoms--
painter's poison

-Irene Latham

While I was at the workshop, I checked out 6 books of haiku, including HI, KOO! A Year of Seasons, Presented by Koo and Jon J Muth. The illustrations are delightful, and kids will love Koo, the little panda bear, as he (she?) romps through the seasons. To give you a sense of the book, I offer you a poem from each of the seasons:

FALL

these leaves
fall forever
my Broom awaits


WINTER

Icicles
reach down with dripping fingers
will they touch the ground?


SPRING

flashlights
sparkle in Puddles
shadows climbing trees


SUMMER

Violet petal
caressing a cheek
butterfly kisses

You may have noticed capitalization of certain words... this book doubles as an ABC book, in that the capitalized words are in alphabetical order. :) For haiku lovers-- and for those like me who are new to haiku-- it's a must-read!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks Irene for teaching me a thing or two about haiku today, and also for sharing Hi, Koo. It's nice to see a book of haiku for children that doesn't adhere to the 5-7-5 format taught in schools. As for yours, I really like it! I especially like that it takes on a different meaning depending on what kind of painter (practical or creative) you're thinking about.

    BTW, received the PFA student edition yesterday-- it's terrific! Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Michelle- refreshing to see a break from the traditional format. Love when that happens. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice job, Irene. I haven't written much haiku either, but I'm playing with some forms right now and it's on my list to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented before I realized I could listen to you! I loved your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Doraine! I am new to Soundcloud and trying to build a library of readings. I appreciate you listening. Would love to read some of your haiku! xo

      Delete
  4. Irene, I love hearing your voice-how nice to read the poems that you shared. I love the Muth Zen books, & now this new one. It is a must, I agree. I've also had fun with Wabi-Sabi, by Mark Reibstein & Ed Young. Thanks for sharing, & hope the festival is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for listening, Linda! That panda bear is so darn cute, isn't s/he? (what do you think, male or female?) xo

      Delete
  5. What a glorious tribute to the changing of the seasons. My eye was caught by Winter, possibly because I am still in Frozen-phase (sings Let it Go, Let it Go). I have to get my hands on Jon Muth's Hi Koo! soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, we should all have Let It Go/FROZEN moments more often. :) Thank you for reading. xo

      Delete
  6. At least wistfulness is allowed in haiku, right? ;-) An ABC haiku book is a great idea. Btw, I know this isn't new, but I love the cover of What Came Before. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabatha... I was surprised by all the DON'TS in haiku... interesting form! And I thank you for your comment on What Came Before cover... it actually is relatively new... it got a makeover when it was released as a free PDF. I think it's beautiful, too, and appreciate you saying so. xo

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing these! I have been curious about this book. I'll have to get my hands on a copy so I can read all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I would love to hear your opinion once you've read it! Do you write haiku? xo

      Delete
  8. Hi Irene! Sorry I'm coming so late to the party, but I'm glad I'm finally here! (And thanks for the shout-out.) I heard Jon Muth speak about this book at the Keene State Children's Literature Festival back in October. I'm happy to see it's now available.

    Terri L. French taught you well. I hope you will continue to write haiku, you're well on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just read Guy Koo and that was great. These sound even better. Thanks, Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just about to the point of having to take one poetry book off my poetry shelf at school for every new one I buy. Nevertheless, I'm seriously tempted by this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I am REALLY late to this party! How did I miss this post? Oh yeah, I was actually with Terri French in Atlanta at the Haiku Society of America quarterly meeting/conference! ;0) Was keeping an eye out for this new book and might, like Mary Lee, have to figure out something to bump to make room. Or I'll just keep stacking... I enjoyed reading your first effort and look forward to some more haiku conversations, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?