Wednesday, July 16, 2014

One of the Best Parts About Being an Author

.... is working with young writers!

 Last month I spent a lovely two hours with a summer reading group at Trussville Public Library. Here they are, eager and engaged:




I was touched when, at the end of the session, a student presented me with her responses to the following prompts:

1. Mama Always Says...
2. Describe your favorite meal.
3. What is the best (or worst) thing that could ever happen to you?


I always give students the option to respond as a fictional character, if they are not comfortable sharing these things about themselves.... because I remember being that fearful young writer! My stomach got knotty and my pulse was a runaway locomotive at the mere thought of someone reading my words... what would they think??

Scary stuff! For those struggling with similar issues, hang in there. Confidence takes time. It DOES get easier.

We had a great time, and the kids wrote some amazing pieces. I always leave so inspired and filled with joy. Love it! Thank you so much to librarian Laura Edge for giving me the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?