Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My Secret Weapon for Writing Kids' Poetry


I picked this baby up oh about 5 years ago at a Scholastic Book Fair when my youngest son was in still in elementary school. (How much do I love Scholastic Book Fairs? Even more now that they've picked up DON'T FEED THE BOY. Look for it!)

I didn't know at the time that I would be writing poems for kids -- I just thought it was a fun thing to have around the house. :)

Now, it's my go-to source when I'm working on a poem for kids, even though I'm not really into writing rhymed-n-metered verse. Oh, the joys of internal rhyme! And sure, you can find rhyming dictionaries online. But this one is so easy to use. 

What's your secret weapon?

4 comments:

  1. I write mostly on my laptop, so rhymezone.com is mine. And I have the app on my phone, so even if I'm writing by hand, it's hand-y :>) I like being able to search not only for rhyme but for related words, similar-sounding words (great for my non-verse poems), etc. Congrats on being in the Scholastic Book Fairs--yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same book -- it's great! Congrats on being in the Scholastic Book Fairs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use rhyme zone online too, Irene. Congrats on being in the book fairs. Now I can recommend your book there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Irene- I use the very same book! I've had it for years and years. I got it at a school book fair. I love it. I also use rhymezone when I'm on the computer. Like you, I'm not really into writing rhyming metered poetry, but I'm trying to get better at it!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?