Friday, September 5, 2014

Let Them Eat Cake!

Hello, and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Laura at Author Amok for Roundup! I'm thrilled and grateful to be featured over at Today's Little Ditty... I would love to see what all my Poetry Friday friends come up with for the poetry challenge at the end of the post! Thank you, Michelle!!

Today is the last day for Lerner's Free Book Friday giveaway for DEAR WANDERING WILDEBEEST. Good luck!

So yesterday I went to pick up the cake for last night's launch party (more on this soon!). It was to be a photo cake with an image of the book cover.


Well, when I went to order the cake, they said, GOTTA HAVE A PRINTED PICTURE.

I've got digital, I said. More accurate.

NOPE, they said.

So I went home, took a picture of the book, had it printed, picked it up, and went back to the bakery.

This time they said, NOPE, No Can Do. Because of copyright laws!

But it's my book, I said. I wrote it! And I know Millbrook Press and illustrator Anna Wadham won't mind!

We'll see, they said. We'll call you.

WELL. They didn't call, which I took to be a good sign! And yesterday, when I went to pick the cake up, this is the sadness I found:


Seriously?? SO SAD. The colors: flat, dark, ick. And what's with the brown strips?? (Sweet husband said it wasn't that bad, but I didn't believe him.)

I NEEDED A CAKE. So I bought it and brought it home, plotting the whole time about how I might fix it. Something fast. Something festive. Off to Walmart I went!

A tub of safari animals, a tube of blue frosting, and some sprinkles later... and this is where we landed:

Better, don't you think?

So that's my adventures in cake. Surely there's a poem in there -- I just haven't had time to write it. Wishing everyone a happy day... and... Did you know Emily Dickinson liked to bake cakes? Poetry & Cake. Yum!!

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your beautiful new book, Irene! And thanks for the heads-up on the book giveaway. I think your "revised" cake looks delicious! = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the launch party was wonderful, Irene, and your creativity knows no bounds! What you did with the cake is terrific, those wanderers! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You remind me of an occasion when my second child was maybe six and he asked for a very elaborate cake, with animals and palm trees etc. The person at the store took notes about what my son wanted, nodding all the time, and then drew balloons on it. ??
    I love that you fixed the cake the way you wanted it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your launch party was a great success! Good job at last minute cake doctoring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy book birthday! 3-D animals on a book launch cake is supercool! I hope your party was fantastic and wish I could have been there. 'Can't wait to hear about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should submit this to Cake Wrecks, Irene. (www.cakewrecks.com) I am shaking my head and laughing because, instead of cropping the image to focus on your book cover, the bakery included the wood grain -- I'm guessing of a table -- too. Oy! Good save, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to make positive out of a negative. I didn't think it looked that bad either, but the improvments you made were awesome. (hope it tasted good)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes - making lemonade at the watering hole! Love this post; love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The end result was just perfect! Happy Book Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely improved it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you better add cake decorating to your resume-- you did a great job! Hope your launch was as much fun as that cake turned out to be.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?