Friday, November 7, 2014

How To Live Your Poem #bloglikecrazy

Hello, and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit the ever-inspiring (and ever-inspired!) Diane at Random Noodling for Roundup!

Since November 1, I have been participating in #bloglikecrazy, following prompts provided by Javacia Bowser. So far I have blogged about:

Why I Blog
Life Goals
Personal Mission Statement.
Open Letter
Letter to a Younger Me
A Case Against Expertise

and today's prompt is "Write a How To Post." As many of you know, I have a page on this blog dedicated to How To Live Your Poem. This prompt reminded me that's it's been a while since I added any  new poems to the list, and when I read through my list, I realized there's not a single children's poem included.We need to change that! If you can think of a children's poem that should be included, please let me know in comments so I can add it! Meanwhile, I offer you the two newest editions to the list:

15. Wait. "Patience" by Marilyn Singer

Patience
by Marilyn Singer

I thought I would be taller
     in the mountains
A queen of green and brown
     my realm laid out below me
          neat as the rug Grandma hooked
     one St. Patrick's Day

I thought I would be braver
     in the  mountains
Following the fierce paths
     of pumas and grizzlies
Ledge leaper
     Crag climber
Taking nothing for granted
     Leaving nothing unexplored

I thought I would be wiser
     in the mountains
Reading the history of the world
     in the weathered rocks
Hearing lectures
     in the wind and water falls
Stretching my mind
     broader than Grandpa's tall stories
          multiplied by ten

I thought I would be tall
                                       braver
                                       wiser
     in the mountains
And I wasn't
But I am more patient
    in the mountains
And I can wait

-from FOOTPRINTS ON THE ROOF: Poems about the Earth by Marilyn Singer, illustrated by Meilo So (Knopf, 2002)
--------------------------------------------

16. Take the string you need. "To a Red Kite" by Lilian Moore

To A Red Kite
by Lilian Moore

Fling
yourself
upon the sky.

Take the string
you need.
Ride high

high
above the park.
Tug and buck
and lark
with the wind.

Touch a cloud,
red kite.
Follow the wild geese
in their flight.

from SOMETHING NEW BEGINS: New and Selected Poems by Lilian Moore (Atheneum, 1982)


12 comments:

  1. Irene, I would definitely include "Ducks' Ditty" by Kenneth Grahame, from the classic, The Wind in the Willows. It's at the beginning of chapter 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say that the reason you should include it is it's great FUN! And rhythmic, too!

      Delete
  2. These are perfect additions to your list! I always find inspiration here. Thank you, Irene. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful poems, Irene...but I especially love To a Red Kite, it just soars in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many poems that come to mind, but right now I'm thinking of "Forget-Me-Not" by Ralph Fletcher. It's just four lines long, but it packs so much emotion. When my mother passed away last year, that poem (which I had memorized) came to me and reminded me that she will always live in my memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LIllian Moore writes so many beautiful poems. I love "Take the string you need./ Ride high..." I would add "Metaphor" by Eve Merriam. Glad you're adding to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about one of these Rain poems: "April Rain Song" by Langston Hughes or Eve Merriam's "Summer Rain." Nice collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohh! This might be a fun activity to do with my students! We'll see what we can come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful additions, Irene. I especially love #16. If I were to live a poem, it would be Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, nice additions! Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't visited this page, Irene...what a good idea. But I submit that both your newest additions ARE poems for children. And here's my suggestion:

    Let the juice run down your chin.

    How to Eat a Poem || Eve Merriam

    Don't be polite.
    Bite in.
    Pick it up with your fingers and lick the juice that
    may run down your chin.
    It is ready and ripe now, whenever you are.

    You do not need a knife or fork or spoon
    or plate or napkin or tablecloth.

    For there is no core
    or stem
    or rind
    or pit
    or seed
    or skin
    to throw away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two glorious additions. Thanks for sharing, and I'll think on your post... :0)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?