Friday, December 18, 2015

12 Days of Christmas: Day Five

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Diane at Random Noodling for Roundup! I do have a poem for you, but first:

For Christmas this year I am celebrating kindness! Each day I'll be posting some wise words about kindness. Enjoy!

Day One
Day Two
Day Three
Day Four

...and on the 5th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...



Now for a poem! I've been reading and loving FLUTTER & HUM: Animal Poems by Julie Paschkis. Lots of wonderful poems... and the art! Also, each poem is displayed in Spanish as well as English. I found it fascinating that the author actually composed the poems in Spanish first -- even though she is not Spanish speaking. Now that is the power of poetry, my friends!

One of my favorite poems in the book is this one:




Crow

on this gray day
on this gray street
the black crow caws.

He hops,
     stops,
       and stares
at a yellow umbrella -
the only sun shining
today.

El Cuervo

En estea dia gris
en esta calle gris
el cuervo negro grazna.

El brinca
     para,
       y mira
a un paraguas amarillo --
el solo sol que brilla
hoy.

8 comments:

  1. I love the kindness quote today, Irene. Speaks well to the criticisms given to the administration lately. And I have Flutter and Hum. The crow poem is wonderful, that 'only sun shining today'. I miss seeing crows around as I did in my former home, only flying elsewhere! It's the magpies' territory so they stay away. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Julie Paschkis's art! And her little poems in two languages are so intriguing. What a way to write.

    Thanks for your focus on kindness. If I could wish only one thing for 2016 it would be kindness (and the obligatory beauty contestants' "world peace.") Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quote--thank you Irene and Kahlil! Oh to be able to read a poem in another language (much less write one...) I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for kindness, and double hooray for Julie's book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kindness quotes are soothing in a beautiful but sometimes ruffling season.

    I'm with the crows on that yellow umbrella. I need one of those in our climate of rain, rain, and more rain...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the kindness quote. Something good to remember! And for sharing "Flutter & Hum" - looks like we are going to need umbrellas here for carol "singing in the rain" this year! It's better than shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the Kahlil Gibran quote! I have memorized any number of his blessed poems. This one, I think, combining "tenderness and kindness" results in one of the best definitions of "Meekness" I've ever read! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bella libro!
    As a cat person, I can see from the cover, it's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?